Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate

Is an Interior Designer a home improvement contractor

Category: Business Law
Expert:  BizIPEsq. replied 1 year ago.

BizIPEsq. : Hello, I will be assisting you
BizIPEsq. : Are you in NYC or outside NYC?
Customer: My residence is in Manhattan. The interior designer was contracted to deliver a set of services (list below) of which he either did not do, or partially did. I paid 50% deposit ($900) and the cancelled the contract. He is now demanding full payment. I would like to only pay him the $900 for the fair value of services he provided, which is much less than what was in the contract.
Customer: He agreed to advise me on the following: 1. the color scheme for the apartment, 2. the countertops and backsplash in the kitchen, 3. lighting fixtures, curtains and closet, and 4. the color/treatment of the hardwood floor and bedroom carpeting5. project management of the contractor’s construction work
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience: I am a business attorney. I represent individuals and companies with all business related matters.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning. I am another expert and I'll try to assist. Thank you for your patience.There is no special legal classification of Home Improvement Contractor. The general title of Interior Designer is not usually considered in the category of Home Improvement Contractor. It appears from the facts that you provided that your issue is one of breach of contract by your designer, resulting in your cancellation of the contract. In such case s/he would only be entitled to payment tor that part of the contract which was completed satisfactorily.

I hope this information is helpful and that you will enter a positive rating. I thank you for submitting your question to Pearl-Just Answer. We appreciate your business. If you need clarification or additional information, please send me a Reply and I will be happy to explain further. Please consult a local attorney to verify the accuracy of this information according to your state's laws.

Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience: 30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate