Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .
17897874

I am an owner/operator. I lease my truck for hire to a company

I am an owner/operator. I lease my truck for hire to a company in Indiana. It is registered and insured through them. I have a Massachutes license and my primary residence is there. My truck was recently hit in a parking lot in Indiana. The company and I have agreed on an amount they are reimbursing me for the damages. I had to have the work done so to drive my truck. They want a W9 filled out. I have recently rented a place in Indiana. Do I now have to file taxes in Indiana and Massachutes ?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Yes, you need to file tax returns for each state you reside or earn money. You would only owe taxes in one state, though, as you would get a credit for taxes paid to another state.

It has been my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further assistance.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw