J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.
64316804

Can a WA state notary legally notarize a business document

Can a WA state notary legally notarize a business document as a true copy?

I've heard conflicting answers on this. This State Dept. document http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86735.pdf would seem to indicate that they can.

Please note these are just business documents, bylaws, member certificates etc. They need to be send to an out-of-state bank that is requesting them for Know-Your-Client requirements. Obviously, sending them originals isn't possible but they'd like to see true copies and want them notarized or certified.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question today. My goal is to provide you with the information you seek.

Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice; and (2) I will provide you with honest information and not necessarily to tell you might be hoping to hear.

Yes a licensed notary can attest as to a true copy of original. Form in general is:

State of Washington

County of . . . . . . . .

I certify that this is a true and correct copy of a document in the possession of . . . . . . as of this date.

Top of Form

Dated: . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . .

(Signature)

(Seal or stamp)

. . . . . . . . . . . .

Title

My appointment

expires . . . . . . . . . . . .

This is provided for in RCW Chapter 42.44: www.apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=42.44&full=true#42.44.090

All my best & encouragement.

Please note that you are asked to rate my courtesy and professionalism, and not whether the answer supports your legal position. I only receive credit when rated 3 or higher. If for any reason you feel that a low rating is appropriate, please first give me the opportunity to address your concerns by clicking the "reply" tab.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much, that's very helpful. We have a large number of documents that need to be copied and notarized (100+ pages). Must the notary stamp and attest each individual page, or could they create a cover letter saying that each of the enclosed copies is a true copy of the original? This would obviously save the notary a LOT of stamping.

Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Each document should be attested to but not each page of the document. So the Bylaws would be attested to as a true copy but not each page of the bylaws. Unfortunately, if there are a lot of single page minutes or Memoranda of Action, these each as a document (not each page) would be attested to as certified copies if that is what the bank is requiring.

I apologize that this was probably not the answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

All my best & encouragement.

J. Warren, Attorney
Experience: Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's very helpful actually. I'm glad to hear they would not have to notarize each page but rather each document.

1. Is there a limit to what a notary can charge for notarizing a copy?

2. Can the notary notarize a copy of a document inspected electronically?

e.g. The client sends notary a scan of their documents. Notary makes a copy and notarizes it as a true copy of the document received from the client?

Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
The maximum fee is $10 for each document certified. www.apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=308-30-020

Yes scanned electronic form is acceptable if it is a true copy scan of the original.

Hope this helps.

All my best & encouragement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Can you explain this a bit further please?

"Yes scanned electronic form is acceptable if it is a true copy scan of the original."

If the client scanned their own document and sent it to the notary how would the notary know to certify it as a true copy or not?

Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I did not explain that clearly. The notary will have you attest to the fact that it is a true certified copy of the original. A scan is treated the same as a copy of the document.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay I think I've got it. Thanks.

Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome!
J. Warren, Attorney