MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.
16277701

I have a small LLC business and someone is stealing my company

I have a small LLC business and someone is stealing my company name to do money scams thru the internet and thru the mail. What would be my options with all this?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MDLaw replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using the JA website. I look forward to assisting you this evening.

In order to assist you, I will need you to provide a bit more detail. What do you mean when you say that they have stolen your name to commit scams? Can you be more specific and tell me how you found out about this and whether or not you know who is doing this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well it started back in 2012 when we found out that someone was sending fake e-mails in our company name and the e-mails where asking people to sign up doing mystery shops. Our business is marketing research and we have been doing this for over 24 years. So I guess it was a matter of time before somebody tried this. Anyway, these e-mails where scams to milk people out of money. And no we don't know them at all. All we had was 1 or 2 e-mails which we could not find anything on.

Now they seem bent on doing the smae thing but also mailing packages to people/companies asking them to do mystery shops on western union where they scam them out of their money. Once again they are using my company name. The only reason we find out is with some of these people contacting us!

Expert:  MDLaw replied 1 year ago.
If they are pretending to be you using a different email than yours, then you want to first contact their ISP provider. Your next step if they are using your actual company name and linking to your site or pretending to actually be your business to commit crimes, you can both go after them civilly and criminally. Your first step to go after them criminally is to file a police report in the county/district in which your business is located.

Please let me know if this has answered your question or whether you need any additional information. I should be online for another half hour or so tonight - until about midnight. After that, I'll be back on tomorrow morning/afternoon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can file with my ISP but should I file with USPS since they are using the mail? Also I'm registered in Florida as a LLC but most of my business is in New Orleans. So where should I report this?

And I think my business insurance has certain coverage should I ask them too?

Expert:  MDLaw replied 1 year ago.
Are they using your mailing address? If they are committing fraud through the mail, the party they are defrauding needs to file the complaint. You can sue them for bringing damage to your company name and you can contact the police about the scams directed at stealing from your business. You can also file a complaint at www.ic3.gov which is the FBI's site for Internet crime.

If they are using just your name, then you can contact FL. If they are also using your business address, however, you can contact your local New Orleans police (New Orleans is my husband's favorite city, by the way!)

You can certainly contact your insurance company if you have suffered losses.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

MDLaw, Attorney
Experience: Experience in business law, contract law and related matters.