Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My friend co-signed for a vehicle. The signer stopped paying

My friend co-signed for a vehicle. The signer stopped paying for the vehicle and left the country. My friend the co-signer started taking over the payments. Can my friend transfer the vehicle to her name and then sell the car to pay it off.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Business litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

If your friend is not on the title to the vehicle, then your friend cannot transfer the vehicle from her name because she has no authority to do so. Being on the loan is not the same as being on the title.

However, she can turn the vehicle in to the lender and allow them to sell it to pay off balance or most of it. If she doesn't want to keep paying for the vehicle, then turning the vehicle in is her best option.