How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 54851
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I repaired a vehicle for a customer. The bill was about $1,000.00

This answer was rated:

I repaired a vehicle for a customer. The bill was about $1,000.00 and he paid $700.00. He signed an agreement to pay the balance in 4 days. I released the vehicle to the customer.

The time has passed, and it appears that I may have to restort to legal action to collect the balance.

What are my options and the best way to proceed from here?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. You will want to file a claim against your customer in small claims court. You can do so without a lawyer. This will give you the leverage and collections options you need. Once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the losing party doesn’t then pay the judgment, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party for a debtor examination. That forces the losing party to meet the judgment creditor in court and answer questions under oath about the losing party's assets. After that information is obtained, the judgment creditor has the power to attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any non-homestead property to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does a repairman's lien apply in this case?

Thanks so much for replying! Since you have already released the vehicle, your quickest most direct route to recovery will be the small claims court route.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Never should have released it. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX best..

You're's my pleasure to help! And, thanks so much for the kind words!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!