TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Internationational Commercial Attorney

my wife makes handmade jewelry and wants to sell it in shops

my wife makes handmade jewelry and wants to sell it in shops in our area. Does she have to have a retail tax permit and or some kind of a vendor permit? We are in the state of Iowa.

Thanks for your question.

When you say selling in shops, do you mean that she is going to sell the jewelry to the shop owners as stock for their stores?

Is she going to set up kiosks and sell directly to the public?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

She is planning on doing both. Need to know what to do in both cases.

Thanks rick

First, she needs to register her business for sales tax purposes at:

If she is going to be operating as a sole proprietor under a trade name, she will need to register the trade name with the local county recorder as a DBA.

There are no other state licensing requirements that she must meet unless she plans on having employees.

For local licensing requirements, I am not able to check unless you provide me with your city and county.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

cedar rapids, linn county

Thank you.

She will need to fill out the following applications for permits and licenses:
AS a "transient merchant" at:

She will also need to contact the city to see how to register for the Local Option Sales Tax collected by the city.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,