Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

A lot of partnership agreements have a date at which they are

A lot of partnership agreements have a date at which they are dissolved. Is this necessary or can partnerships be perpetual?
*Nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.*

Welcome,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

A partnership agreement is not required to have a termination date. In fact, a partnership agreement is not even required to be in writing. A partnership can be inferred by the conduct of the parties. Where there is a written partnership agreement, the partnership will be presumed to continue indefinitely absent a termination date and therefore most written partnership agreements state a termination date.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. Why would a partnership want to have a termination date since they can dissolve by agreement? If they have a termination date, can it just be amended if it gets to close for comfort?

Thank you.
My pleasure

Why would a partnership want to have a termination date since they can dissolve by agreement?
The termination date provides an agreement to terminate as of the specific date unless they agree otherwise

If they have a termination date, can it just be amended if it gets to close for comfort?
absolutely