Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

I just sold a business. The people who bought the business

I just sold a business. The people who bought the business formed a corporation and then they filed a Doing Business As under the name of the business I once owned. Is it legal to duplicate the name of a business under a DBA?
*Nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.*

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Typically when one sells a business, included in the sale is the right to use the name of the business. Thus provided you sold the right to use the name of the business to the purchasers, they have the right to use that name in any lawful manner. It is lawful for corporation to conduct business under a d.b.a.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Only sold the business. I didnt sell them the "corporation". Also I am planning to close the corporation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is the right implied by law or is it explicit?

It is also typical that when a business is sold that one purchases the assets of the corporation and forms a new corporation. When the sellers corporation is still open, the buyer cannot incorporate under the same name as the sellers corporation. Hence the procedure is typically to incorporate under a different name and then DBA the new corporation to use the desired name.