Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
11688690

Is it legal to offer free cosmetology services in Illinois?

Is it legal to offer free cosmetology services to the general public, without a cosmetology license, in Illinois. I would like to offer hair styling, nail care, and make-up application for free. Can I advertise I offer these free services in Illinois? Can I offer free hair styling, nail care, and make-up application to the general public without a cosmetology license, if the services are free?  Can I offer these free cosmetology services from home and from a retail space (store front)? 

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Regretfully, no.

Illinois has an extensive statewide licensing system for cosmetologists.

The field of cosmetology encompasses several occupations, including hairstylist, hairdresser, shampooer, barber, skin care specialist and nail technician.

One must be a licensed to practice such - even if giving away free services.

Can I offer these free cosmetology services from home and from a retail space (store front)?

Even if you are a licensed cosmetologist - the space from which you perform such services must past an inspection and be licensed or certified from which you can operate a beauty salon and the like.

Your positive rating of my service benefits my ability to continue to assist you and others like you. Thank you.

Please remember to rate my service. If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.