How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BizIPEsq. Your Own Question
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 996
Experience:  I am a business attorney. I represent individuals and companies with all business related matters.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
BizIPEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im having some trouble finding information on this subject.

This answer was rated:

Im having some trouble finding information on this subject. Can you please tell me what if any regulations exist on melting, smelting raw placer gold from Nome, Alaska or just any where in this wonderful state that I should be concerned with? My particular concern is handing raw mercury that is amalgamated to the placer gold. And a retort is needed to separate.
And the health department wants to come in and study the gold smelting process, should I allow the health department come into my place of business and do a study on smelting?

BizIPEsq. :

Hello, I will try to assist you. Let me review Alaska's regulations

BizIPEsq. :

It took me a great deal of time but I located a compilation of laws that apply to mining (see here) The rules note toxic materials but do not specify Mercury in particular. My recommendation would to reach out to the Alaska Dept of Natural Resources and asking them for guidance here is their contact info:

BizIPEsq. :

Anchorage Office Mine Permitting/
Mineral Property Mgmt

550 West 7th Avenue, Suite 900B
Anchorage, AK 99501
(907)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
Fairbanks Office Mine Permitting
3700 Airport Way
Fairbanks, AK 99709
(907)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
Surface Mining
550 West 7th Ave, Suite 900D
Anchorage, Alaska 99501
(907)(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
BizIPEsq. :

As far as allowing the health department in. Generally unless you give them permission or there is an emergency they would need to obtain a warrant (court or administrative) to come on your property. You are within your rights to ask them the scope of their inquiry, what are they looking for, what happens if they find something etc.

BizIPEsq. :

and then base your decision on that. Note that you may have certain operational licenses that as a condition require your automatic permission to give the relevant parties the right to come on your property. You should review the licenses/permits that you have and whether they have such pre-conditions.

BizIPEsq. :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you

BizIPEsq. :

Please rate my answer. Without your rating I do not get compensated for my work.

BizIPEsq. and 6 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Business Law Questions