Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.

need assistance with a non-disclosure issue thanks

Customer Question

need assistance with a 'non-disclosure' issue thanks
Submitted: 3 years ago via LawDepot.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  MShore Law replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. What question can I answer for you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We purchased via the lawdepot website a contract that includes a 'non-cometition' clause which by the wording and definition covers us for any employee pursuing employment with a direct competitor.

we have an employee who has given notice/quit to pursue work with a competitor. He checked on the same website and found a definition of 'non-compete' that says an employee *can* be employmed in the same field for a competitor. He has since given us a letter stating that we need to give him 'permission' to pursue the employment. The company that he has been offered a position with knows he was our employee, knows that he signed a 'non-competition' claused contract with us. I need to know what recourse we have from this point on.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX law govern the contract?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry. I don't know the answer to that directly. From what I understand, when purchasing the contract it is specified to the country/province where the purchase is made. My 'assumption' is that all is good.

not a problem, is your business located in Canada, and is the business the employee plans on joining in Canada?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes. both within the same province as well.

Thank you Elaine, this agreement would likely be governed by Canada law. I will opt out in favor of an expert in Canada business law (I am an expert in US business law).
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is there someone that I can be referred to?

Yes, I have already opened the question up and a referred expert should be along very shortly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

will the new expert continue on this string? I've had nothing appear on my computer and I need to leave fairly soon.

Yes, I apologize for the delay, a new expert will continue on this string.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No one ever came online to continue the conversation.

Please have them refund my deposit and cancel my acct.

Thank you