How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 38801
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I trade stocks for a living. live in the Netherlands, but need

This answer was rated:

I trade stocks for a living. live in the Netherlands, but need an American broker. But i can't open an account if i'm not an US-resident. is opening an DBA the solution? And is it possible to open an DBA from the Netherlands?


You would need to create a corporation in a U.S. jurisdiction (typically Delaware). As a separate legal entity, the corporation can open its own account under its own tax identifier.

The problem with this is that the taxes that would be levied on the corporation would be unreasonable, because the U.S. Government heavily taxes what it calls "personal holding companies" which are solely investment vehicles, such as you would require.

You may want to consider contacting Interactive Brokers. They have numerous worldwide affiliates, and they are a deep discount brokerage with extremely flexible and high-speed trading tools. Maybe they can help you through their Netherlands affiliate.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
socrateaser and 2 other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you