TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Internationational Commercial Attorney

What can I do if I am starting a small business from home but

What can I do if I am starting a small business from home but do not want to register my home address when I file a DBA and apply for a business permit? I know there are places that provide virtual business addresses for a fee and mailboxes, but can I register a business on such an address?

Thank you for your question. This may depend on several factors.

Are you wanting to incorporate at all? Or are you only filing a DBA?

When you say a business permit, what kind of permit are you applying for and to what governmental unit are you applying?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I already filed a DBA, but i also need a CA seller's permit from the Board of Equalization and a business license from the city (Redondo Beach is where my home is), but I don't want to use my home address because it will be public. By the way, I was advised to make my address confidential, I still don't know how and if I am going to do that, because I am a victim of human trafficking, but I don't want to make this question too complicated now, I am just curious how I can start my online business (jewelry store) without making my home address so public.

Thank you

Thank you for your response.

The Board of Equalization requires that you provide an actual physical address, not just a PO Box, where it asks for the location of the business or it asks for you home address

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,