Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .

I am in the process of purchasing a home in Loudoun County

I am in the process of purchasing a home in Loudoun County Va. One of the manufacturers has made an error of on a sales invoice of $3195. Both parties signed the sales invoice. We put in the invoice to the builder not aware of the error. We came to an agreement with the builder as to how much money they would help us with to close the deal. Now this error has been found on their invoice. I do not feel we should be responsible for coming up with this money when we have no means to do so and can impact us closing on our home. We have exhausted all our our funds to come up with we need now. Please let me know if I would have any legal remedy.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Before we begin I need a bit more information.

Have you contacted the manufacturer to correct the error? What is the nature of the error? How much should the invoice have been?

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have contacted them and they haven't responded yet. The invoice is $4540.. It should be $7735. They took an option off we requested and they made a keying error. They signed and submitted it to the builder.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

I am sorry to read of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you.

Since the mistake was unilateral, you should be entitled to the quoted price unless you had knowledge of the mistake. In that case, you can not take unfair advantage of the situation. The builder or general contractor should be responsible for the budget and any error should come out of their pocket, as that is one of the responsibilities they are paid for.

If they refuse, or you can not reach a negotiated settlement, then you may have to sue them for breach of contract.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need further assistance. I am here for you.

Thanks.

JudgeLaw

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

We had no clue they had made this mistake. I am trying to figure out what to say to them if they do not respond accordingly. Thanks for your help!

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for following up with me.

If they do not respond accordingly then you will need to sue them for breach of contract.

Regards.

JudgeLaw
Loren, Attorney
Experience: 30 years experience representing clients .