Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .
17897874

is it legal in montana to date termination notices the last

is it legal in montana to date termination notices the last day worked and not on the day the job was ended.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Before we begin can you provide some information?

Do you have a written employment agreement?

Have you been paid for all work that was done and you time on the job?

How does the termination date affect you?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was hired at Pizza Hut on 1/19/2011 as a server. On 2/11/2011 I was held over on my job,not as a waitress but a dishwasher for 2 xtra hrs. The following day 2/12/2011 I called in sick. Found another job. On 2/13/2011 I called to give my two weeks notice and they said don't bother. Upon further proceedings I recieved a notice of termination dated 2/11/2011. They want a pay back of 2683.00 saying I quit. My question is this legal to do. How can I quit a job I don't have,according to their paperwork

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Why do they say you owe them money? Did you have a written employment agreement?

Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I,m fighting an unemployment appeal. They said since I quit I shouldn't have recieved the money between 2/11 -7/11.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I understand that this is regarding the unemployment claim.

The written termination notice should be presented for your appeal. Since it predated any action you had taken then there is a good chance that you would prevail in the appeal and not owe for any overpayment of benefits.

I realize this is scary for you. Be aware, however, that even if it is determined that you were overpaid, they will usually settle with you for a lesser amount and payments over time since there was no fraud involved.

I hope this is helpful to yo. If you need further assistance please let me know. I am here for you.

JudgeLaw
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still need to know if this practice of filling out the date on the termination page on the last day worked instead of the actual date is legal

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Yes. That is not, per se illegal, so long as their is no intent to defraud another anyone.

JudgeLaw
Loren, Attorney
Experience: 30 years experience representing clients .