BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a business attorney. I represent individuals and companies with all business related matters.

My entertainment group is planning an event called a "Dance

My entertainment group is planning an event called a "Dance with Lance." The concept is a dance event powered by a single fit cyclist on an efficient bicycle generator. Is this name problematic? I came up with the name several years ago with the intention of having Lance Armstrong be the featured cyclist. The event was also going to be a fundraiser for his cancer charity. Now that he has fallen from grace, and because we don't have access to him, I am planning to use the name anyway. People like the name. It rhymes and conveys the nature of the event well. Does this name in any way put me in legal risk? (By using the name Lance at an event that he will not be at?)

TheLegalistEsq :

I will be assisting you. Let me review the question. I will need to log off so please bear with me

TheLegalistEsq :

Using the name "Dance with Lance" is a problem. It would have been one thing if your or the performer's name was Lance maybe that would have been a reasonable and plausible use of such name. But, since you are trying to use the name and likeness of Lance Armstrong you will be infringing on his "Rights of Publicity." The right of publicity is the right of an individual to control the commercial use of their name, image, likeness, or some other aspect of their identity. It is generally considered a property right. Celebrities are known to create through their name and goodwill and you cannot misappropriate that without damages to the celebrity. Therefore, by naming an event Dance with Lance and featuring him without his permission will be infringing on his right of publicity.

TheLegalistEsq :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.