JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in business formation and licensing issues
16110456

How long does a contractor have to be absent and not in communication

How long does a contractor have to be absent and not in communication as far as work schedule have to be before he has "abandoned" the jobsite?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 1 year ago.

BizAttorney :

Hello, I am a professional here to assist you. I appreciate your use of this service.

BizAttorney :

Please say Hello when you are ready to begin.

BizAttorney :

I see you need information about the law in Arizona pertaining to a contractor who is deemed to have abandoned a job.

BizAttorney :

ARS Section 32-1154 lays out the grounds under which a contractor may face sanction from the state regulatory body. Abandonment or refusal to perform are violations.

BizAttorney :

The law does not define abandonment in terms of a time requirement. Abandonment is determining based on an examination of the facts in each situation. If a complaint is filed with the regulatory body or a civil suit is filed "abandonment" is determined by the trier of fact such as a judge. The evidence involved is examined to determine if the contractor actually had no intent to return to finish the work. Considerations will include the deadline in a contract, the relationship and work history of the parties and the statements and actions of the contractor.

BizAttorney :

before you go....
I rely on excellent service ratings and optional bonuses to provide this information. Will you leave a positive service rating?
You will see an option on your screen to leave a rating.
You can then follow-up at your leisure with me if you have more questions as you work through this issue. Thank you in advance for the excellent service rating.
If you have any problems with the rating system please let me know because this is vital to my participation at the site.
Thank you for using this service and have a great day.

Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 1 year ago.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was reading the actual law when the screen jumped to this? How do I get back to finish reviewing your answer?

Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 1 year ago.
I see you were having trouble viewing the answer so I am providing it below again. Please follow-up if you have any other questions.

ANSWER:

BizAttorney : Hello, I am a professional here to assist you. I appreciate your use of this service.
BizAttorney : Please say Hello when you are ready to begin.
BizAttorney : I see you need information about the law in Arizona pertaining to a contractor who is deemed to have abandoned a job.
BizAttorney : ARS Section 32-1154 lays out the grounds under which a contractor may face sanction from the state regulatory body. Abandonment or refusal to perform are violations.
BizAttorney : The law does not define abandonment in terms of a time requirement. Abandonment is determining based on an examination of the facts in each situation. If a complaint is filed with the regulatory body or a civil suit is filed "abandonment" is determined by the trier of fact such as a judge. The evidence involved is examined to determine if the contractor actually had no intent to return to finish the work. Considerations will include the deadline in a contract, the relationship and work history of the parties and the statements and actions of the contractor.
BizAttorney : before you go....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks but I could still see your response. I was reading the actual law when the screen changed. I would like to be able to finish reading that in conjuction with your answer.

Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 1 year ago.
I did not provide the actual text of the law. Do you want a link to the text of the law?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That's funny. When I clicked on it, came up then jumped back to your answer. Yes, please.

Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 1 year ago.
Here is the link to the text of ARS Section 32-1154.

See:

http://www.azroc.gov/statutes/index.asp?statute=32-1154.F#F.

Thank you

Please remember to leave a positive service rating. This is very important to me.
JBaxLaw, Attorney
Experience: Experienced in business formation and licensing issues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The law you cited is in the Arizona Registrar of Contractors section. I have spoken to them and it is important for the end user (me) to understand the area of AZ laws you are using. They told me they wouldn't look into a problem if I fixed it before they inspected it which can take 3 weeks to 400 days.

Anyway, thanks for your help. This service could send a lot of people off "half-cocked".