Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations
11688690

I have a U.S. based merchant account and a Gateway for an e-

Customer Question

I have a U.S. based merchant account and a Gateway for an e- commerce site. This site is dedicated to servicing consumers in India. The cards used in India will be from local indian banks credit/debit. I have tried doing a test run of India based cards before i get my business started but most of my cards are getting declined. i have called the processors the gateway people, the financial organization the cards are all valid and have funds available yet they are being declined and nobody really know what the issue is ? i have to sort this out soon ? Can anybody tell me what the problem here is and perhaps an example of small business that is U.S. based and operating an e commerce business in INdia and how they are processing the cards ?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  BizIPEsq. replied 1 year ago.

TheLegalistEsq :

Hello, I will be assisting you. Let me review the question.

TheLegalistEsq :

I believe that the problem is with the fact that you are using a US merchant account and US gateway. In order for a US merchant account to be able to accept foreign credit cards the account has to specifically be authorized to do that. You should contact your merchant account company to set this up. In addition, even if you set it up you should know that you will likely be paying a "foreign transaction" fee which could be as igh as an addition 0.8%!

Customer :

i have set the account specifically for that purpose, its a global platform with currencies accepted in over 130 currencies.

TheLegalistEsq :

Do you have a bank account in the US?

TheLegalistEsq :

One issue that a client of mine in the Middle East was having did not involve the merchant platform itself, rather the credit card holder's account which was not enabled to process payments in US Dollars. Essentially, they had a similar issue where certain transactions went through but many others did not. After trouble shooting they concluded that with every single denied transaction the credit card holder did not enable a foreign transaction in their account. They ended using PayPal but my understanding is that PayPal is not available in India and it was more expensive.

Customer :

well pay pal does accept in 120 currencies but , when i do a test run on the cards they get declined - reason the financial institution turned em down. I spoke to them too tested my patience but got no where

TheLegalistEsq :

Did you confirm that the declined card are authorized to be used in the US? Remember that from the point of view of the card holder's bank the processor is a US entity therefore it is as if the owner of the card used the card in the US.

TheLegalistEsq :

Never heard back. Were you able to confirm whether the declined card was authorized to be used in the US?