Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

CBS had erected a billboard in 2004 on a commercial property

CBS had erected a billboard in 2004 on a commercial property that I just purchased. They had the owner sign a contract that states the owner must give a 90 day notice prior to the end of the contract or the agreement would renew automatically and run for another 5 years. They gave notice but the notice was only 61 days rather then 90 days and CBS outdoor told them to sue them because they were not going to remove the board.

I am about to purchase and close on this property and I do not want the billboard on my property and I will not sign a contract.

They are just going to tell me that I must honor the contract which expires next year July of 2014.

I am still going to give them notice to remove the billboard.

Any suggestions. Its a Jr. Poster Billboard. small one not a full size.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
I hate to say it, but if you buy the property, you would be taking it subject to any existing contractual landlord/tenant agreements that are in place currently. You would essentially "step into the shoes" of the previous owner and assume the same rights and responsibilities as the former owner.
.
So if the notice was not properly given to terminate the lease, then if you buy the property you are stuck with it until the lease renewal period comes up again.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.