BartEsq
BartEsq, Researcher
Experience:  Juris Doctor
64232130

What do I need to do to start a business in Michigan? I

What do I need to do to start a business in Michigan?

I am looking to file for LLC. I will be selling ebooks and possibly bottled food/beverage goods online (no alcohol, thankfully). I will be selling to customers in all 50 United States.

I believe I may have some of the steps completed, but I just don't want to miss anything.

Thanks!

BartEsq :

Welcome! Thank you for using JustAnswer.

BartEsq :

My name isXXXXX going to try and help.

BartEsq :

What have you done so far to get your LLC started?

Customer:

I have filed for LLC and obtained an EIN. However, I am not sure whether I did it completely correctly.

Customer:

Thanks by the way!

BartEsq :

No problem.

BartEsq :

Did you hear anything back from the MI secretary of state regarding the application?

Customer:

I received my EIN a while ago, so I don't remember off the top of my head. What would the Secretary of State letter have said?

BartEsq :

That your applicatio was recieved and your LLC has been registered with the state.

BartEsq :

application*

BartEsq :

What is the name of your LLC?

Customer:

Sheit Peiss, LLC.

BartEsq :

It looks like the LLC was organized and registered 8-17-2010.

Customer:

Yes, that's correct.

BartEsq :

The profile also says that the LLC is not in good standing.

Customer:

Yes, do you know why that would be the case?

BartEsq :

No. You would have to contact the Secretary of State to find out why.

BartEsq :

That info is not available publicly.

Customer:

Ok. It may be because I didn't fill everything out that I would need to. My tax accountant mentioned some kind of license to sell and collect tax in Michigan.

Customer:

I also hadn't done taxes for the business since it started, but there was no notable income or expense to report.

Customer:

A Schedule C form was completed for tax year 2012 by a CPA, so hopefully that may fix it, or at least part of it.

BartEsq :

It is hard to tell without contacting the Sec of State directly. But the LLC was organized and registered with the state. The LLC application was filed properly. But something caused the LLC not to be in good standing.

Customer:

Ok, so the Secretary of State will know why the LLC is not in good standing?

BartEsq :

Yes, they may just need you to update some information. Or maybe the LLC owes a fee.

Customer:

Ok. Will the Secretary of State also know what else I need to do obtain a license to seel and collect tax?

Customer:

*sell

BartEsq :

Here is some info on how to restore your LLC. You may just need to file an annual statement.

BartEsq :

You may obtain a Michigan sales tax license by completing Form 518, Registration for Michigan Taxes.
Additional registration information for the application process can be found by visiting the Michigan Registration Web page.

BartEsq :

You need to contact the Sectretary of State in regard to the LLC not being in good standing. The tax issue should be address with the MI department of treasury.

BartEsq :

Here is thier website link.

Customer:

I'm sorry, can you re-send the last two links again? Just Answer is saying that the links are invalid for some reason.

BartEsq :

Sure.

Customer:

The Form 518 and the Michigan registration links, I mean.

BartEsq :

Oh, ok.

BartEsq :

Here you go.

BartEsq :

Get those ok?

Customer:

Yep, they worked fine. I wonder if it was just because the links were embedded in different text.

BartEsq :

Probably. The site can be sensitive sometimes.

Customer:

Hahaha

BartEsq :

Any other concerns you would like to address?

Customer:

Sorry about that, I was just copying down all of the links.

BartEsq :

You can save this webaddress to your favorites and view it anytime.

Customer:

Ok, so I think I should be good to go as long as I can make sure I understand everything

Customer:

So here we go:

Customer:

1. I need an EIN, which I have done.

BartEsq :

Correct.

Customer:

2. I need a license to sell and collect tax in Michigan, as I am selling to the end user. I have a link now to guide me through the process.

BartEsq :

Correccct.

BartEsq :

Correct*

Customer:

3. I obviously need to be in good standing, so I should talk to the secretary of state, and fill out any paperwork and pay any fees they require of me.

BartEsq :

Correct.

Customer:

Anything else?

BartEsq :

Not that I can see.

BartEsq :

How about you? Any other concerns?

Customer:

Ok. I would imagine that other states have similar paperwork/policies, etc. right?

BartEsq :

Correct.

Customer:

Because to throw a wrench in the works here, I may be moving to West Virginia soon.

Customer:

WV would have a Secretary of State as well, I assume?

BartEsq :

Yes.

BartEsq :

You can register your MI LLC as a foreign LLC in WV.

BartEsq :

So you dont have to create a new LLC, just register your MI as a foreign entity doing business in WV.

Customer:

Awesome, I will definitely look into that.

BartEsq :

Great. And I'm here if you run into any questions.

Customer:

So I wouldn't need a Michigan business address then to do that would I?

Customer:

I could use a WV address?

BartEsq :

Correct.

Customer:

Ahhh that's perfect!!!

Customer:

And finally, is there anyone I should be talking to in-person to answer any future questions like this? Is a tax accountant my best bet? Or a business lawyer perhaps?

Customer:

Really, is there anyone I can pay to do all of this legal BS for me? Hahaha

BartEsq :

Depends on the issue, you are probably going to need both at some point in time.

BartEsq :

You can probably find a law firm that specializes in business transaction or corporate law. http://www.michbar.org/programs/lawyerreferral.cfm In case you need it, here is a link to the MI bar associatio lawyer referal service.

BartEsq :

association*

Customer:

That's perfect. Thank you so much for all of your help!!!

BartEsq :

My pleasure. Anytime.

BartEsq :

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. Let me know if you have any questions. If I can provide you with any additional service, please don't hesitate to ask. Please remember to rate my service so I can get credit for my work. Bonus is not mandatory but much appreciated. Thank You.

You can request me directly by putting “To Bart” at the beginning of your question or clicking on my profile link here: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-bartesq/