TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Internationational Commercial Attorney
17219180

IF YOU HAVE A GPS SYSTEM, MUST THIS FACT BE DISCLOSED TO THE

IF YOU HAVE A GPS SYSTEM, MUST THIS FACT BE DISCLOSED TO THE EMPLOYEE OR MAY WE MONITOR THEM WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE?
Where is the GPS system?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When they log in on their telephone, it is there phone that gives us the signal and now we can monitor them as they walk the property. They are security guards and after they call in on our system, there phone becomes a human gps so we know where they are on property and if they leave the property.

Interesting. I could see a potential invasion of privacy lawsuit if you used the GPS system to track them when they were no longer on the property. Just so I'm clear, what are they logging into when they log on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They sign an employment contract that spells out everything and we are having them initial next to the GPS statement so they are aware of it. Some people sign and still are unaware to what is going on around them.

They are logging into a MITC system using their cell phone.

If it is in the employment contract which the employee signs, then the employee may not legally claim that he/she is unaware of it. The law charges the employee with knowledge in that situation.

So, as that is the case, the disclosure is complete and there is no liability issues that I see.

-ZDN