BizIPEsq.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience:  I am a business attorney. I represent individuals and companies with all business related matters.
73280834

Im starting a LLC home improvement business in CT,

I'm starting a LLC home improvement business in CT, do I need a sales person license or just a home improvement license( do I have to take a test?). I have my EIN, Tax ID, Tax pin and I Applied for the license for home improvement in CT. Is there anything more I need.

I'm also Planing to do work in NY and NYC what documentation do I need And where do I get it. Where do I apply?

Gabriel T

Email:XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Category: Business Law
Expert:  BizIPEsq. replied 1 year ago.

TheLegalistEsq :

Hello, I will be helping you.

TheLegalistEsq :

Anyone who performs improvements on residential property (single- or multiple-family dwellings of six units or less, condos or co-ops), when the individual job exceeds $200 and when the cash price of all work performed in one year exceeds $1,000 is considered a home improvement contractor and must register in order to legally operate in the state.

The Department of Consumer Protection registers all home improvement contractors doing business in Connecticut, enforces the state's Home Improvement Act, and administers the Home Improvement Guaranty Fund for consumers.

TheLegalistEsq :

The following require additional training and license:

TheLegalistEsq :

crane and conveyor work
electrical work
elevator work
fire protection work
glass work -- home and auto
hearth product (propane stove and fireplace) work
heating, piping and cooling work
home inspection
irrigation work
operating stationary engineer
plumbing work
sheet metal work including ductwork
signs and outline lighting
solar energy work
spa and pool work
tv, radio, and electronics work
welding, valves, and machinist work
well drilling

TheLegalistEsq :

In NYC you need to obtain a Home Improvement Contractor license with the Department of Consumer Affairs. You can find the application at this link: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dca/downloads/pdf/HICChecklistPacket.pdf

TheLegalistEsq :

New York State does not have license requirement on a state level and each municipality / county may require one on a local basis. You would need to inquire with each municipality / county where you intend to do work before commencing work.

TheLegalistEsq :

good luck!

Customer: Thee are copy and past from websites not direct answers to my questions .
TheLegalistEsq :

These may be copy and paste but they do answer your questions. If you have a specific question about the information provided please let me know

TheLegalistEsq :

Q: Is there anything more I need.

TheLegalistEsq :

A: my answer provided that in CT you need to obtain such license and no additional license.

TheLegalistEsq :

A: whereas in NYC you need to register with the Dept. of Consumer Affairs

TheLegalistEsq :

A: NYS does not have a state wide license for home improvement. Rather it is done on a local basis with each municipality / county.

TheLegalistEsq :

p.s. the reason experts use cut and paste is to provide as much information as possible within the limited context of what information we can provide on the site and the limitation on resources in answering questions. It does not mean that an expert (i.e. myself) are not familiar with the issue. It's just a way to provide you with the maximum information through the limited nature of this back and forth

TheLegalistEsq :

please change the rating as I do not get compensated otherwise.

Customer: I believe we all should get payed
Customer: and I thank you for the answers
TheLegalistEsq :

thank you and renewed good luck!

Customer: i just expected more detail (like prices and form #) when I clicked on no urgency but very detailed answers box . Which determined the price. But I guess that's why face to face meetings are worthwhile the extra. It's hard for me to express my concerns by typing! But hank you an have a good day.
BizIPEsq., Attorney
Experience: I am a business attorney. I represent individuals and companies with all business related matters.