TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Internationational Commercial Attorney
17219180

Understanding this service isnt designed to draft any letters,

Understanding this service isn't designed to draft any letters, I'm looking for the right "wording" for a letter I'm writing myself.

Short story: Due to an error with a vendor, they contacted my attorney directly to ask for information that they misplaced. Since my attorney bills me by the nano-second, I received a bill for these services that I never authorized the vendor to request.

I'm going to send my attorney a note that he should not respond to any requests unless they come through me, but I was looking for a way to tell the vendor (gently) that I expect them to foot the bill..

What is a "gentle" way of saying.. "Due to circumstances you created, I was billed by my attorney for services that I was unaware of and did not authorized. Attached is that bill, and I'd expect reimbursement for said services."
Category: Business Law
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
Your attorney should have contacted you and asked you whether you wanted him/her to do the work before doing it and charging you for it.

When you say that the vendor "misplaced" the information, what do you mean exactly. Was the vendor negligent?

Do you have a written agreement with the vendor which defines that they are responsible for keeping up with this information?

Also, what did the attorney have to do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was a contract for operations on a piece of land. The contract was signed, delivered, and acknowledged by the vendor about 5 months ago. Apparently, due to a clerical error on their part, they can't find their copy now.

They contacted my attorney to inquire about getting another copy, and he said he could "look" but that the originals had been sent.

As such, he charged me for the conversation with the vendor that resulted in nothing more than a "I don't have it."

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
Dear Vendor,

We were alerted by our attorney that you have misplaced the contract for the work you were to perform for us. Unfortunately, lawyers charge their client for every second of their time and we have incurred attorney's fees because of your call. As I'm sure you can imagine, we are in a position where every cent counts on this project and do not have room in our budget to pay for mistakes from our vendors. Accordingly, we respectfully XXXXX XXXXX you reimburse us for these attorney's fees and have attached the fee invoice for your records. We appreciate your help with this and please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions or concerns.

Let me know if you think this is too hard.

-ZDN
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience: Internationational Commercial Attorney