Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I am currently writing a business plan for a service that buys

I am currently writing a business plan for a service that buys Pennsylvania Lottery scratch-off tickets and/or Powerball tickets for users. I understand that there are some legality issues associated with such a service. Initially, I will keep the business to within the state of Pennsylvania to avoid any transportation of lottery tickets between states. As far as the business model is concerned, how can I legally charge the users for this service? Can I charge them a percentage of the ticket cost or perhaps a percentage of the winnings? Or do I have to keep the charge to a flat fee to avoid being considered a third party? I want to run a business that's completely legit.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
If you charge any fees for the service, you would be in violation of the PA lottery rules that allows only those licensed by the PA lottery to sell tickets. You could charge a percentage of any winnings, but that would not really make you the money you are seeking from your business. The reason you do not see many people doing this frequently is that selling lottery tickets without a license is a violation of the PA laws (and technically what you are doing is buying and reselling- buying for another party for a fee).

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted or the law does not help your situation, PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your response. A few people I know have told me that they would purchase lottery tickets more often if they didn't have to go out of there way. This is where I came up with the idea that someone tells me what ticket they want to buy and gives me the money for that ticket. I buy the ticket for them and mail it to them. I charge for my services of physically buying the ticket with their money and sending it to them. Does this still make it illegal since I am not technically "reselling" any tickets. If so, how do websites such as thelotter.com get around this law - or are they in voilation of the law? Thanks.

If you notice they are charging only for certain lotteries and are not offering others. They can charge for the service of buying the national lotteries, but when they get into local state lotteries they run afoul of the state gambling and lottery licensing laws.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.