Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate

I am required to travel to another location for training. My

Customer Question

I am required to travel to another location for training. My non-profit corp doesn't pay for the time on the road. Is this legal?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  BizIPEsq. replied 3 years ago.

TheLegalistEsq :

Hello, I will be helping you.

TheLegalistEsq :

let me review the law in Indiana

TheLegalistEsq :

I will be logging off while I conduct the research.

JACUSTOMER-rgbsdf4y- :

Why does my email show that you have answered my question but I see no answer...just "loading data". What the heck is that?

JACUSTOMER-rgbsdf4y- :

Again, you want a rating and I have not seen an answer. I'm very frustrated!

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 3 years ago.

In Indiana, if the time on the road is during working hours it is covered by the Indiana Minimum Wage laws. It would be considered either regular time or overtime. The employer is bound by any employment agreement. If such compensation is not covered or limited there then you would be bound by the terms of the agreement. Non-profit or for profit makes no difference. For more general information, see:

I hope this Answer is helpful and that you will give it a positive rating. If you have any follow up questions please send back a Reply. You should consult a local attorney to verify that this information is accurate for your state. Thank you for using Just Answer. We appreciate your business.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This was very frustrating. I want a refund!

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 3 years ago.

Please tell me what do you disagree with in my Answer? Please explain your frustration. Thanks.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 3 years ago.
I apologize for your frustration with my Answer. What I thought I said was that your travel during working hours counts as hours worked and you must be paid for it. If it isn't, then you may file a claim with the Indiana Department of Labor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Again, I believe this whole experience is a scam! You wanted me to allow you to take $80 minimum from my account just to file a request for a refund of the first $33!

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 3 years ago.
We have nothing to do with payments or accounting. You are being referred to customer service. Please do not reply to this posting.