MShore Law
MShore Law, Attorney
Experience:  Drafted Negotiated and/or Reviewed Thousands of Commercial Agreements

I am an employee for a company in North Carolina. I am a programmer.

I am an employee for a company in North Carolina. I am a programmer. My employer has asked me to incorporate gpl-licensed software in our product. I have reviewed information that suggests incorporating this gpl-licensed software may be harmful. Can the company sue me for damages that might result from my incorporating the gpl-licensed software?
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Is the company's request in writing? Have you, in writing, advised your supervisor of the potential harm in incorporating the software?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello MShore,

The request from my employeer was via email. I did advise my employer in reply that the software seemed to be gpl-licensed and that may be an issue.

I can copy you the email correspondence if appropriate?

Thank you Dan, so long as you have on records the employer's request, and in turn your advisement that complying with the request presents potential liability/negative consequenes, the employer could not sue as the employer in such case assumed the risk that you were right in your warning and should it prove true, could not hold you liable. Please let me know if this does not answer your questions or if you have any follow up questions. If I have answered your questions, please positively rate my answers.