Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

2 years ago I started an s corp with some partners as we started

Customer Question

2 years ago I started an s corp with some partners as we started an entertainment company based around music. There was 6 of us. One guy owned 51%, 2 guys owned 16.66% each, and 3 of us owned 5% each. A couple days ago we had a meeting based around the future of the company and the guy that owned 51% of the company proposed that if we want to move forward we would all have to invest more money into the company, otherwise we would forfeit our shares and basically have to bow out. Is this possible?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, business is an investment unless you received some guarantees on return of your money. Thus, if the owners are required to put more of their own money into the business to help it succeed they have to do so or they can risk losing their business completely. You can ask to be bought out of your shares and this is up to a vote of the members and this is going to be determined by the assets or the money the company has to pay out those shares. Your other option is you can seek to sell your shares to other parties to try to recover your money.

These are the options you have in dealing with this matter I am afraid.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted or the law does not help your situation, PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”