Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

I have medical bills from a hospital where I was admitted.

I have medical bills from a hospital where I was admitted. I was homeless at the time. The bills are for 2006. The said I wouldn't have to pay them and now I still have debt collectors after me. Isn't there a time limit for medical bills in Maryland.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good morning. Pursuant to Maryland Courts & Jud. Proc. Code Ann. § 5-101 et. seq., Maryland has a three year statute of limitations on the collection of such debts. Thus, you no longer are obligated to pay the bills. Send the collection agents a certified, return receipt requested letter explaining the statute of limitations has run, that you do not owe this debt and demand they immediately cease and desist all further efforts to contact you and/or anyone else to collect this debt. Inform them that any efforts to do otherwise will constitute a violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and that you will report each and every violation to the Federal Trade Commission. Each violation carries at least a $1,000 fine, so that should be the end of things for you.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just wanted to thank you for getting back to me. I will deffinitly use your service again.

Shannon

You're very welcome...it was my pleasure to help you! Have a great day!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!