TexLaw
TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Internationational Commercial Attorney
17219180

I have a small business located in New Orleans, LA. We rent

I have a small business located in New Orleans, LA. We rent a average space of about 1000 sq. ft in a small 3 story building and we are just a typical office with desks, paperwork etc. Not a retail store. We had a lady friend who was leaving our office and she lost her balance right outside the door because of steps with the building that are wrong and not up to code for the building. She fell and hit her head on the parking lot. Now we just rent our space, we don't own the building and we don't have anything to do with the parking lot. The owner of the building is up to speed with this accident but he's telling the lady that its our responsibility because she was there to see us. I think he's wrong. She fell in his parking lot due to his faulty concrete steps.

so i am trying to see if I'm right or wrong.

Thank you for your question.

This question has been answered before in Louisiana courts. The landlord is responsible when someone is injured on dangerous stairs on the outside of the building. It is the landlord's responsibility because it is on the outside of the building, which is under the landlord's control and the tenant has no ability to alter it.

"The jurisprudence holds that when, as here, a property owner leaves its tenant no way to enter or leave the property except for defective stairs, the tenant is not negligent if the tenant falls on the stairs."

Ambrose v. McLaney, 959 So. 2d 529 (La.App. 4 Cir. 2007)

You need to inform the landlord that he is incorrect and that it is his responsibility, not yours.

Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide for you.