Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
26798026

Last year, I enrolled and completed the introductory course

Last year, I enrolled and completed the introductory course in a six-course series of a certificate program for vocational education here in Ohio. The college canceled the program and is not offering the other five courses. The intro course by itself is of no value in terms of job placement. Request for refund of fee has been denied. Is there recourse at law? I just want a refund, no big legal case. Thank you.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

The starting point here is whether the college agreed to provide the remaining courses in any sort of agreement that was signed at the time that you purchased the original course. For example, if you had purchased all six courses, and they only gave you one, then they're in violation of your contract and would owe you at least a partial refund.

Also, if the introductory course can transfer to a similar program at another school, then you received value for your money and a judge would not order them to provide a refund (even if the other school might be inconvenient or not a place that you might otherwise have chosen to go).

Essentially, to get a refund in court, a person has to prove that the company breached a legal agreement that was made, or that offering the first course in the series created an obligation to allow students to take the remaining courses. If they explicitly promised that they would continue to offer the entire program, and you reasonably relied upon that promise in taking the introductory course, then you may be ale to get a refund (if you cannot complete the program elsewhere). If not, this may unfortunately be one of those situations in life where there is no legal recourse.

I realize that you may be disappointed by this Answer, as it is not entirely favorable to your situation. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for writing.

There is no signed agreement. I enrolled in the class over the phone last August after review of the college's brochure and electronic mail.

Only the introduction course was enrolled and paid.

The college official has said to contact one of the instructors from the program in hopes of arranging continuation with the instructor. However, he is located in Colorado and I am here in Greater Cleveland. Further, the program was co-sponsored by a university in Texas.

There was no explicit promise to continue with the program.

Their expectation was to have a class size of 35 to 50. Only five students actually enrolled in the intro course.

Your answer is about what was expected. I wanted to see what a law-learned person would say. Thanks.

CH

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. I'm sorry I didn't have better news for you. Have a good day.
Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience: Attorney