Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA

Had a customer think I accused him stealing, because of this

Had a customer think I accused him stealing, because of this called the next day and threatened me I of coarse documented everything on this as well as calling the police and filing a street report( no charges). Now the customer comes in trying to get my employees to admit fault. He also keeps calling me telling me how wrong I am and won't let me talk. The conversations always end in me hanging up or him raising his voice then hanging up. I aat the point where i wont answer the phone if he calls.I reported all of this to my loss prevention department. Do I need to protect myself legally?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
What is it that the customer wants you to do?
Does he want an apology?
Or is he mentally unstable?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He keeps telling me he is going to sue our company and make sure I get fired. I explained to him that I in now way accused him of stealing and that I was sorry if he perceived what I said as such. I already returned the product and thought it was over but he keeps called and refuses to drop the issue.
Ok, if he continues with these actions, then you would have grounds to file a formal criminal complaint for harassment. Under CO law harassment is defined as:
Colorado Revised Statutes
18-9-111. Harassment.

A person commits harassment if, with intent to harass, annoy, or alarm another person, he or she:
(a) Strikes, shoves, kicks, or otherwise touches a person or subjects him to physical contact; or
(b) In a public place directs obscene language or makes an obscene gesture to or at another person; or
(c) Follows a person in or about a public place; or
(d) Repealed.
(e) Initiates communication with a person, anonymously or otherwise by telephone, computer, computer network, or computer system in a manner intended to harass or threaten bodily injury or property damage, or makes any comment, request, suggestion, or proposal by telephone, computer, computer network, or computer system that is obscene; or
(f) Makes a telephone call or causes a telephone to ring repeatedly, whether or not a conversation ensues, with no purpose of legitimate conversation; or
(g) Makes repeated communications at inconvenient hours that invade the privacy of another and interfere in the use and enjoyment of another's home or private residence or other private property; or
(h) Repeatedly insults, taunts, challenges, or makes communications in offensively coarse language to, another in a manner likely to provoke a violent or disorderly response.
So the next time he calls, you can tell him that if he calls you again, you will file a criminal harassment complaint against him and let the prosecutor handle things. It sounds like the guy may be a little unbalances to fixate on this so much and not let it go. So I wouldn't have any reservations about filing charges if he continued his behavior.

Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.