Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Im almost done with my new commercial building(new construction).

I'm almost done with my new commercial building(new construction). In order to schedule the final inspection the electrical and plumbing works should be finished. But my general contractor wants me to pay all remaining balance in FULL, otherwise he doesn't want to do anything. My balance is around $20000 and i have offered him half of this sum, but he is insisting on payment in full. Is there any law which prohibit him to charge me until the job has been done completely?
Unfortunately, the charges and billing are pursuant to whatever your contract with him states. Generally, there is anywhere from a 10%-25% retainage fee, which is what the customer holds back until all final check offs and sign offs are completed, but you have to read your contract. Absent anything in there specifying the retainage, I am afraid they can demand payment in full when the contract says payment is due. However, if he is not done and you cannot get a sign off on the final inspections, then you need to give him notice he is in breach of contract (depending of course on what the contract specifies) for not completing the project. Also, if the contract is silent, you need to negotiate the final payment with him to retain some money as your insurance he completes the job and that would be the only remaining recourse with him when the contract calls for payment in full without retainage before completion.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He does not pick up the phone on me. What is the agency I may file my complaint to against all his violations?

You call the state contractor's board

It would be even better if you find out he does not have a contractor's license, because in CA that means automatically he would not be entitled to sue you and would not be entitled to any more money from you by CA law. However, if he is currently licensed, the contractor's board will investigate him and sanction him if they find violations.