Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

RA - sa

Customer Question

I own three rental properties in sarasota, florida. I signed a year contract with a rental agency company in august 2012. they tke 20% or all booking fees.they have aquired 2 bookings since last august. i want to terminate the contract. if i do and they sue me am i right in thinking they can only sue me for loss of earnings ? if so that would not be very much would it ?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
If you were to terminate the contract in writing, they would actually have to prove their damages if they sued you. So since any future earnings are entirely speculative, the court may decide that they couldn't sue for anything because they can't prove that they would have earned anything. But I would opine that at the worst, the judge may look at the past earnings history and award some percentage of that.
.
But if the amount is not very much, realistically it is pretty unlikely that they would bother to sue.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

Please don't forget to rate my service "OK" or higher. It is only then that I receive credit for my work.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.