Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.

Hi, I worked for a company back in 2006 to 2008 for 18 months.

I worked for a company back in 2006 to 2008 for 18 months. I am a clothing designer so I designed a line for them. The line I did is very different from their line. They do "exotic dancewear" and it's really trashy.
When I google my name - a picture of me with them at a tradeshow comes up with a link to their website. It was a magazine that took the picture and I guess "tagged" me or I don't know exactly how it works, but there then is a link to their web-site.
I have not worked for them since Jan of 2008.
Do I have any rights as far as them posting my picture? I am back in school pusuing a completely different line of work and do not want my name associated with this company. Would the best way to proceed is to ask the magazine to "untag" me? Legally, do I have any rights or would it just be me asking them to do me a favor and take it down?
Thanks, Kaia
Unfortunately, if this was taken while you were employed with them, I am afraid you would only be able to ask them the favor of removing the picture or at least removing your name from the site, since they had a right to use the photo when you were working for them. The best way is using a nice letter asking them to just please remove the name from the site. It is going to be simply a matter of negotiation with them I am afraid, because when you were in their employ you did design the line and the photograph is not false or misleading and they legally have the right to post it.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”