How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years practicing law
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I am trying to decide where to go to laws school.

This answer was rated:


I am trying to decide where to go to laws school. I am a NY resident and would like to practice immigration law. If I get a licence in California do I have to reside in California to get licensed? Can I practice immigration law in NY with CA licence since immigration is federal not state.

Dear GogoSocci1 - It doesn't matter where you go to law school since you can take the Bar Exam in any state and be licensed in that state. Many lawyers are licensed in multiple states so it doesn't matter where you live or go to law school. You are correct that immigration is Federal Law so you would also need to bet licensed in the Federal Court system after you graduate. My suggestion is to apply to several law schools and then you can choose the best school to fit your needs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am trying to go on line law school that only allows me to get license in California. Also how would u get licensed in federal court
You would have to apply to the Federal District Court in the area where you want to practice law. There are numerous Federal Districts in the country so you would have to wait until you receive your law degree before you can apply for membership in the Federal Court system. You can contact the district court in your area to see what qualifications they require to take the Federal Bar Exam. To my knowledge the Federal Court System does not recognize on line law degrees but you would have to check with them directly to know specifically what the particular district requires.
Dave Kennett and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you