Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I have a review website and companies are asking to use my

I have a review website and companies are asking to use my logo in their advertising. It's not copywritten, what do I need to do to be able to "rent" the logo on an annual basis? This must work under Canadian law, but the companies are international (Europe, US, etc). Contract template would be appreciated.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You have a common law copyright and trademark on your logo, even if it is not registered. Thus, they do need written consent to use your logo in those countries. All you need to "rent" or the legal term is "license" your logo is a written contract with the terms under which you are giving them permission to use your logo on their sites. Most sites will not pay to use a logo if they are using it for advertising and they will just tell you that it is advertising your site and as such that is the consideration for you granting them permission to use your logo, so the value of your consent is not going to be that much money. Furthermore, by law, even if you deny them the right to use your actual logo, they can just use the name of your website and your web address on their site without your permission. Generally though, in this type of situation, these companies would not be willing to pay more than $100 for the license at the most, since they can simply use you name without any permission and not be in violation of any copyright or trademark laws, especially if they are just saying their company was reviewed on your site, as that is considered "nominal use." An additional consideration is that if you start actually charging companies for use of your logo and your site is reviewing those companies, the allegation can arise that you are seeking to charge them for favorable reviews, which diminishes the credibility of your site.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

If you did not get all of the information you may have wanted PLEASE USE THE REPLY TO EXPERT LINK IF YOU HAVE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND NOT THE FEEDBACK BUTTON FOR BAD SERVICE. PLEASE CLICK ON “OK,” “GOOD” or “EXCELLENT” SERVICE. Kindly remember to ONLY rate my answer when you are fully satisfied. If you feel the need to rate anything less than OK, please stop and reply to me via the or REPLY TO EXPERT button with whatever issue or clarification you may need.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Very informative, thank you for the information. One of the companies specifically wants to use my logo to print on their labels (as promotions). Any implications there? Or can I just rent the right to use the image / logo?

If they want to actually print it and put it on their labels, you can license them this specific use, which is beyond just putting it on their website. The issue is you cannot get much because they are giving your site advertisement and they can simply say they won't use your logo at all. Generally, as I said, about $100-$500 is a reasonable amount for this type of licensing which is beyond simply using your logo on their site. You need a written contract with them specifying how they can or cannot use your logo and also that you can withdraw consent at any time for any violations, so you can have some control over what they do with your logo.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience: All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.