stevewlaw
stevewlaw, Attorney
Experience:  25+ years and millions of dollars in settlements in catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death, and commercial litigation.
73182738

Hello. As part of my catholic religion, I started a website

Hello. As part of my catholic religion, I started a website and offered to send free religious medallions and booklets to those who complete the online form. Well, this has become very popular and now it is getting quite expensive to mail these materials. I am wondering if it would make sense to set up some sort of non profit or charitable organization that would allow me to continue what I am doing but somehow expense the costs that are coming out of my pocket? Appreciate any ideas or thoughts. Thanks so much. - Tom

stevewlaw :

Setting up a 501(c)(3) not for profit to run your little business may make sense for you (considering that there are costs involved in setting up the not-for-profit business). This would allow you to collect tax-deductible donations that can be used to fund your charity. You could personally make charitable donations to the not-for-profit that you set up if you choose, but considering the charitable and benevolent purpose of your "business", you may also be able to get other's interested in donating to your cause and helping you defray your own expenses. I think the non-profit is a good idea and will serve your purpose.

Customer: Thank you. I know this is not a legal question but is there an inexpensive way to set-up a 501 (c) (3)? Would I be able to do it myself? Also, I heard in casual conversations that some states are better to set up a corporation in. Not sure if that applies to a situation like this. Thank you again.
stevewlaw :

I believe if you do a google search you can find an inexpensive way to set this up. I wish you the best of luck. Please provide me with positive feedback. Thank you.

stevewlaw : Good morning. I wanted to follow up with you and see if you were satisfied with my answer. I've so, I would greatly appreciate receiving positive feedback from you. Thank you.