Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations

If I live in Illinois and form an LLC in Wyoming, if my business

If I live in Illinois and form an LLC in Wyoming, if my business is 100% online in terms of development and sales and has no office, do I need to still file as a foreign corporation for Illinois?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 1 year ago.

Law Pro :

Hi! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to assist you with your question.

Law Pro :

You don't use an address in Illinois whatsoever?

Customer:

Do you have enough information?

Law Pro :

Customer:

Not for this business

Customer:

The corporation will own the developer agreement to create software

Customer:

The corporation will publish the software

Law Pro :

Registering a foreign corporation in Illinois is for doing business in Illinois.

Customer:

The corporation will receive the proceeds from the sale of the software

Law Pro :

Given the facts you stated - no, you don't need to register your Wyoming LLC in Illinois.

Customer:

Okay, so living in Illinois and participating online with the corporation is not considered doing business in Illinois

Customer:

?

Law Pro :

When a foreign corporation transacts business in Illinois, it must qualify to do business by procuring an Authority to Transact Business in Illinois from the Secretary of State's

Department of Business Services (§13.05)

Law Pro :

You could transact your business through Wyoming.

Customer:

So I would live in Illinois and transact business in Wyoming

Customer:

online

Law Pro :

Yes.

Customer:

Thanks

Law Pro :

The fact that you live there doesn't mean you do business there.

Customer:

One more aspect to this question

Law Pro :

You're welcome.

Law Pro :

Shoot!

Customer:

I will have outside contractors around the world actually that will 'work' and send their portions to the corporation.

Law Pro :

All through the internet - correct?

Law Pro :

That would still hold true.

Law Pro :

Good luck!

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX for a bit, but I believe you answered my question.

Law Pro, Attorney
Experience: 20 years experience in business law - sole proprietor, partnership, and corporations