P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  12+ yrs. of legal experience.
11181181

while i was mith my girlfriend i was out of town and i had

while i was mith my girlfriend i was out of town and i had her put the title to my trailer in her name and now she says it is hers even though she signed her name to the title as the seller
Category: Business Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Not sure I understand...you signed the title to her and now she claims it is hers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The title is in her name but I bought it and have since broke up. She signed it a while back but did not give me a bill of sale. Now she says it. Is hers with nothing invested in it.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

So why is the title in her name if you paid the money for the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was working out of town and i needed plates on the trailer for when i got back to take on the road. I worked out of state and was living in the trailer while i was working. I just did not have it transfered in my name.

Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
This will be a tough one for you. If title is in her name, the state presumes she is the owner. So you can not just go to DMV and demand they change it back. They will not. DMV will take her name on the title as conclusive proof she is the owner

SO to get some relief from this mess, you will need to bring her to court.

Now...the good news is that you can do this in small claims court and save the cost of a lawyer if you can settle for $5K or less. That is the maximum you can sue for in FL small claims. Small claims can not order her to transfer title back to you...they do not have the power for that (you would have to hire a lawyer and go into district court for that). But small claims can award a judgment up to $5K

So you can sue her in small claims for the value of the truck. If you can prove that the truck is really yours and she is refusing to transfer title back to you, the court can award a judgement to you for the value of the truck.

You have to sue in the county she is living in.

Talk to the clerk of the court for that county court, small claims division, and they will give you the forms you need to file this.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: you can sue her in small claims to get the value of your truck back
P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience: 12+ yrs. of legal experience.