Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law

My son is starting a carpet cleaning company in Colorado.

My son is starting a carpet cleaning company in Colorado. Is there sales tax on carpet cleaning and upholstery cleaning in the state of Colorado? We do not have to charge sales tax in NY on carpet cleaning, but we do charge it for other things like hard surface (floor) cleaning.

bizlaw :

Hello, I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for. The labor portion of the carpet cleaning services are not subject to sales tax. However if part of the service involves replacement of portions of the carpet, you would have to separately list the replacement carpet from the cost of the labor because the carpet replacement parts would be taxable. Also if you are cleaning the carpet as part of the process of reselling the carpet you would have to pay sales tax. In general straight carpet cleaning would not be taxable in Colorado. If I have answered your question please rate my answer excellent as that is how I am compensated. If you have more questions let me know. Finally, if the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus. If I can be of further assistance or you have other questions in the future you can ask for me and reach me at this site.