Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .
17897874

I am a sole proprietorship. I have my ein. I want to become

I am a sole proprietorship. I have my ein. I want to become a non profit. Should I become an llc also? I live in Texas.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am LawGuy and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

I would suggest that you file to become a not for profit corporation rather than an LLC.

You can not and should not be a charitable endeavor as a an individual dba.

I hope this answers your question.

It has been my privilege to assist you. Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested. If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

LawGuy

When you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl, please do rate me highly (8-10). It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers and would be most appreciated.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not able to use the name of our business as it was too close to another. So can we do a dba after the non profit is set up?

Yes. Form the nfp and then register your dba.

LawGuy
Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my privilege to assist you and I hope you will ask for me (LawGuy) on JA/Pearl should the need arise in the future.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawguy/

Good luck.

LawGuy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I keep the same EIN and do a name change?

You would need a new EIN for the a new entity but not for a name change.

LawGuy