Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I own a small business. It is seasonal. My ads make it clear

I own a small business. It is seasonal. My ads make it clear that it is a seasonal position and it will not extend beyond christmas. Many of my employees are on unemployment before they come to me. Many apply for benefits after coming to me. How can I stop this cycle? DLLR has provided no direction. We have even gone before the labor board and they sided with our help. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

How many months are you employing them for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Typically, we hire someone in October and they are let go by christmas.

Thank you for the information:

Your Question
: I own a small business. It is seasonal. My ads make it clear that it is a seasonal position and it will not extend beyond christmas. Many of my employees are on unemployment before they come to me. Many apply for benefits after coming to me. How can I stop this cycle? DLLR has provided no direction. We have even gone before the labor board and they sided with our help. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Response: If the DLLR is siding with the workers, the way you may get around this may be to employ them for less than three months. Monetary eligibility for employment benefits is based on quarters. So, if you were to employ the workers for less than a quarter, less than three months, you may be able to legally avoid being responsible for their unemployment compensation. See the FAQ for monetary eligibility for more information:

http://www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/claimfaq.shtml#monelig

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
While I appreciate the answer, this is not the case. I had someone work for me for 3 weeks and get benefits. I had another just recently work a total of 14 hours over three weeks and get benefits, I think it more or less has to do with how a benefit form is completed. No one at DLLR will tell us how to make our case. This is very frustrating.

Response: Wow. I am going to opt out to see if any of my colleagues has a better idea.

Thank you for your cooperation and patience.

Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. It seems the Professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Wendy