rvlaw
rvlaw, Attorney
Experience:  NYC Trial Attorney 30+ years; Law professor ; BUSINESS LAW; CONTRACTS; TORTS; Arbitrator
3071004

I have employee drivers that drive my trucks. I use the same

I have employee drivers that drive my trucks. I use the same truck 2 to 3 shift per day. I pay for truck,
Fuel,insurane,and labor. I want to be able to lease the truck by the shift , have independent contract drivers, instead of employee. Need to hold driver to be more responsible for their actions, fuel, time, damages. No over time. Is this legal? What kind of contract do I need? Lease contracts daily weekly, monthly?

Hi and welcome,

You raise an important issue which has serious ramifications for you as well as your drivers in many areas such as taxes and liability. The law looks carefully at these cases. It's not just a question of what you want to LABEL the relationship....it is WHAT THE RELATIONSHIP REALLY IS.

If you continue to treat the trucks as yours and treat your drivers as employees by virtue of fuel, insurance and labor....then you remain an employer with responsibilities for certain bookkeeping, taxes, social security, etc.......all leading up to a W-2. And if he is negligent, you are also responsible for injuries he causes along with him.

Alternative: A clear written INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR AGREEMENT. He leases your truck for a fee, but pays all expenses himself. You pay him $X ....give him a 1099 at the end of the year and have no responsibility for his negligence. There would be a clause that he will indemnify you from any suit against you brought by an injured person who doesn't know the kind of legal relationship you have with the driver and names you in a lawsuit.

If he has his own truck, you pay him $Y and everything else is the same as just explained.

REMEMBER THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE

Please read the Just Answer disclaimer. We do not have an attorney-client relationship which includes confidentiality. You have to consult an attorney in your state even if you are in NY where I am admitted to practice.

To find a lawyer, go to Martindale.com. This is a site that we attorneys use to find very qualified and respected attorneys across the country who specialize in various areas of law. It is arranged geographically and by specialty. Attorneys don't pay to get listed in Martindale. This is the process : attorneys in the area and specialty rate their fellow lawyers.

Please ACCEPT my answer and give it a 3....4.....or 5 rating in order for me to be compensated for my response. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So is it legal to lease the truck per shift?

Absolutely in accordance with my answer.

rich