Loren, Attorney
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .

I loaned my son in law an interest free, debt consolidation

I loaned my son in law an interest free, debt consolidation loan in June 2006. I have the check for 16K with the memo "debt consolidation loan". After approximately two years he began to have financial problems; so I suggested he take a few months off from the payment. He did and has paid nothing to date. I am taking him to Small Claims Court in March 2013. What are the chances I prevail?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am LawGuy and I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

Texas small claims court only has a limit of $10,000. So, if you are requesting more, the defendant can get it dismissed for exceeding the jurisdictional limits.

Also, the statute of limitations is 4 years. The period runs from his last payment.

Therefore, I am seeing a couple of problems with the case. You may want to retain your own attorney to help you with this one or, at least, to have an initial consultation to get an idea of what to expect and the issues you need to address.

I hope this answers your questions.

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me (LawGuy) on JA/Pearl should the need arise in the future.

Good luck.