John, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed and practicing attorney helping businesses achieve their legal and practical goals.
71296933

I signed a contract to work as an Indy contractor for a startup

I signed a contract to work as an Indy contractor for a startup company. The contract listed my salary plus stock options. The other part never signed the agreement. I have an email from the CEO congratulating me and repeating the contract compensation terms. I also have been working for a year fullfiling my part of the agreement. Is this contract valid?
If you are asking whether the absence of one of the partner's signature on the agreement invalidates it, where another officer has signed the agreement - the answer is no the lack of signature does not invalidate it. As long as one agent with at least apparent authority (meaning the company presents this person to have the authority to enter contracts on its behalf) signs the agreement it is valid. Further you have a past practice of everyone treating the contract as valid, which enforces that this is the agreement.

If you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – select the Reply to Expert or Continue Conversation button. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to build my expert ranking. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX wish you all the best with this matter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I signed the contract. My boss/the CEO didn't. Does his email where he said congrats and repeated terms have any validity? In court. Or with an arbitrator? Or does the fact that I've been working for a year mean anything?
Responding in kind: Does his email where he said congrats and repeated terms have any validity? In court. Or with an arbitrator? Yes, that is an affirmation that the terms of the agreement. Technically, there are only a few types of agreement that need to be in writing and signed (your's is not one so I will not bore you with the details of the statute of frauds) so any evidence you have that the company agreed to the terms as you understand them is relevant the court or arbitrator's finding of what exactly the parties agreed to.

Or does the fact that I've been working for a year mean anything? Yes, that is a course of performance - which is evidence that the parties had the understanding of the terms of the agreement. Anything the employer did in this time is showing its understanding of the terms of the agreement.