Legalinfomd
Legalinfomd, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 24 years of experience in business law.

I was a director on a corporation. I resigned as director

I was a director on a corporation. I resigned as director in Dec of 2009. I contacted the state to give them a change of officers form. I was told that the corporation "WAS FORFEITED FOR FAILURE TO PAY PENALTY OF $ 62.00 FOR 2008. It was actually forfeited in Oct of 2009. I was told that if I wanted to reestablish the coporation I would have to pay the back money that was owed and then file the change of officer form and pay that fee. However since the coporation was non-exsited to them I should just let it be. Which I did. Now I am being served papers for that corporation. It list me as an officer of that corporation which I am no longer an officer. The other officers I have no idea where they are because they sold the business about a year after I resigned. I have not heard from them since. I want to know what can I do since I resigned as an officer 2 years before this case came about, 3 years before they served me with any papers and 2 months after the corporation was forfeited?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Legalinfomd replied 1 year ago.

Legalinfomd :

Hello. I will respond to your question.

Legalinfomd :

What type of papers were you served? They could be for a purely corporate liability, but must be served upon some person with authority to receive notice on behalf of the corporation.

Legalinfomd :

An example would be a notice of personal property taxes that are due from the corporation. If that is the case, then do nothing.

Customer:

Thank you for accepting my question

Legalinfomd :

If, however, you were served with papers asserting a liability against you personally, such as for non-payment of sales taxes, you could have personal liability unless you can show that you were not a responsible officer at the time the liability arose (i.e. the date the taxes became due). In that case, you should contact the state (in the case of sales taxes, the Comptroller's office), and inform them that you resigned as an officer of the corporation as of ______ (date), and are not responsible for the taxes in question.

Legalinfomd :

You may have to provide evidence of the fact that you resigned as an officer and as of what date, such as a copy of a letter of resignation.

Customer:

Motion and order compelling answers to interrogatoriesin aid of execution

Legalinfomd :

That would mean that a judgment has already been entered previously, and that the plaintiff is now trying to collect on the judgment. Who is the plaintiff (the state or some other private party), and who is the defendant (you personally, or the corporation)? That should be indicated at the top of the motion, on the left side.

Customer:

You know I cant even tell what it is for

Legalinfomd :

I am a maryland attorney and would be pleased to take a look at that for you if you would like.

Customer:

Thanks

Customer:

Case number

Customer:

050200197932011

Legalinfomd :

Why don't you call me tomorrow and we can discuss by phone. My number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN Ask for Craig Schwartz.

Legalinfomd :

Do you have access to a fax machine?

Customer:

ok..great

Customer:

what time

Customer:

and what is ur fee?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

i do have a fax

Legalinfomd :

I will be in the office around 8:00, and should be in all day. I will not charge you to take a look at it and let you know what the situation is. We will discuss fees before I do any work. But please leave a positive rating for this response so that I will be compensated for this answer.

Customer:

Great...I only wish you were a divorce attorney...lol

Legalinfomd :

You should fax a copy of the papers to me at(NNN) NNN-NNNN Please write my name on a cover sheet.

Customer:

What is ur fax number

Legalinfomd :

One of my partners practices domestic law.

Legalinfomd : (NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>
Legalinfomd :

What is your name?

Customer:

Great..I will contact him next month

Customer:

My name isXXXXX

Legalinfomd :

Ok Baseema. I will talk to you tomorrow.

Customer:

Thanks again and I will call tomorrow!

Legalinfomd, Attorney
Experience: Attorney with 24 years of experience in business law.