Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Run my own successful business/contract law practice.

I am in business with a partner. We rent an office together.

I am in business with a partner. We rent an office together. Can he legally lock me out of this office> If I am locked out, can I break the lock off and let myself in to get access to my records?

Thank you for your question.

I am sorry that you are in this situation. To answer directly, so long as you are his partner, he CANNOT lock you out of your own office--you are free to break the lock and re-enter, since you would have as much right to be on the premises as would your partner. There is no requirement that you comply with his actions, and so long as you both are listed as partners, you can re-enter and take your records from the business. Just please be aware if these are mutual records pertaining to the business and not simply your records, you would need to make those records accessible to your partner also should he need them (so potentially making copies would be wiser).

Good luck.