Richard, Attorney
Experience:  32 years of experience practicing law and a businessman.
17027240

My husband and I own a retail liquor store in Kansas which

My husband and I own a retail liquor store in Kansas which he operates as sole proprietor. We've been checking into an umbrella insurance policy to protect ourselves from liability claims but not sure that's the best route. I recently heard a business should incorporate to protect the owner's personal property. We would appreciate some help on what is the best way to protect ourselves.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. You are wise to be concerned. Yes, you should form a limited liability entity....either an LLC or a corporation...to protect your personal assets from the liabilities of your store. You can still have the entity purchase a liability insurance policy to protect the assets of the entity, but in all cases your personal assets would be protected. I would recommend either an LLC or an S corporation as both shield you from personal liability and avoid the double taxation of being taxed at both the entity and the individual level. The LLC offers a bit more flexibility for you so I would recommend that. Forming it is simple....i) complete and file a certificate of formation with the Kansas Secretary of State online; ii) obtain an Employer Identification Number from the IRS online; iii) download a simple operating agreement from www.rocketlawyer.com or www.legalzoom.com and modify it for your facts; and then iv) open an bank account using the documentation in (i) through (iii). Then assign all the stores assets to the LLC. You're done!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!