JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in business formation and licensing issues
16110456

I put in a bid on a property from the county. A county commissioner

I put in a bid on a property from the county. A county commissioner on the committee voting on the bid caused our offer to be refused. During a second meeting, he tried to do it again, but the offer was accepted. During the period for other bidders, he bid on the property. I don't know if he is running our bid up for the county or if he is trying to get his own bid accepted. Do I have a case? He is a county commissioner in the same county and on the same committee.

BizAttorney :

Hello, I am a professional here to assist you. I appreciate your use of this service.

BizAttorney :

Please say HELLO when you are ready

Customer:

hello

BizAttorney :

great

BizAttorney :

I see that you are with me.

BizAttorney :

If the county commissioner is using their position for personal gain, that would be an ethical violation and potentially criminal.

BizAttorney :

The Tennessee Ethics Commission accepts complaints and will investigate allegations of that nature.

BizAttorney :

If I understand you correctly, the public official used their position to manipulate the bidding process to their advantage.

Customer:

Should I contact them first.

BizAttorney :

I can provide the link. There may not be a right of private action meaning there may not be an ability to file a civil suit. Instead the law may provide for the state agency responsible, the Ethics Commission, to investigate and pursue the claim.

BizAttorney :

Here is the link for the complaint:

BizAttorney :

http://tn.gov/sos/tec/complaints.htm

BizAttorney :

I hope that you will be so kind as to leave me a positive rating. I only receive credit for providing information and assistance if I receive a positive rating. Also, a positive rating does not impact any charge from the site.

BizAttorney :

Do you have any other questions?

Customer:

The "final sale" date could be in couple of days or in a month...according to records I've researched...should I contacyt an attorney, too? If so, what knid should I seek? Do you have any suggestions in Jackson, tn?

BizAttorney :

In such situations, it may be possible to file seek injunctive relief to stop a sale.

BizAttorney :

That would require an attorney due to the complexity of such an action.

Customer:

how do I do that?

BizAttorney :

I am not permitted to refer a specific attorney, but you may consider using the bar association lawyer referral service.

BizAttorney :

I can provide that link

Customer:

great...thanx

BizAttorney :

http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/lris/directory/main.cfm?id=TN

BizAttorney :

Do you have any other questions right now?

BizAttorney :

When you leave a rating, the live session ends. The question will remain active so you can post follow-up questions in a non-live format after leaving a rating.

Customer:

no I think I'm good now...thanx